On March 27, 2019, the Presanctified Liturgy of St Gregory the Dialogist using the 18th-century English translation of Philip Ludwell III was celebrated at the Cemetery Dormition Chapel at Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY.
The liturgy was celebrated by Bishop Luke of Syracuse of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. The Liturgy was held in conjunction with the 252nd anniversary of Philip Ludwell III’s repose in London.
In 1760 Colonel Philip Ludwell III began a handwritten book that included the first complete English translation from Greek of one of the three principal liturgies of the Eastern Orthodox Church. Ludwell entitled this “The Divine and Holy Liturgy of St Gregory the Dialogist,” now more commonly known as The Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
At the time Ludwell made this translation he was living in London, England with his three daughters, Hannah (Ludwell Lee), Frances, and Lucy (Ludwell Paradise). It is thought he completed the work in June 1761 and that the text may have been used at a celebration of this liturgy following the reception of his three daughters into the Orthodox Church in London during Holy Week in April 1762.
At the end of this video, there is an excerpt from a memorial service that was served for the Ludwell family.