View of Green Spring Plantation showing the forecourt and manor house. Structure S would be just outside the frame on the right. Courtesy National Park Service, Colonial National Historical Park, Jamestown Collection. This is a conceptual rendering ONLY.
Nicholas Chapman and Dcn. Nicholas Dujmovic at the only extant above-ground structure at Green Spring plantation, which approximates the size of Structure S.
A recreation of Green Spring Plantation. View from the causeway (now forested) to the forecourt and front of the manor house. Courtesy National Park Service, Colonial National Historical Park, Jamestown Collection. This is a conceptual rendering ONLY.
A still shot from an architectural animation of the Green Spring Plantation manor house showing its evolution from the 1640s to the 1790s. See video at Media>Video Gallery.
Nightview of Green Spring Plantation from the nursery, showing the forecourt and manor house. Courtesy National Park Service, Colonial National Historical Park, Jamestown Collection. This is a conceptual rendering ONLY.
Testing the waters - still running clear and cool - of the actual green spring on the historic Plantation property. The surrounding structure is from the early 20th century.
The green spring, moss-covered and producing cool water. A 1680s visitor on its water: “so very cold that ’twas dangerous drinking the water thereof in Summer-time.”
The house Philip Ludwell III built in Williamsburg c. 1753 during his tenure on the Council of State.
Philip Ludwell’s letter of August 8, 1755, to a young George Washington. Ludwell was instrumental in Washington's commission as Colonel in the Virginia Regiment during the French and Indian War. Image source: http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/
The Ludwell family pew box at Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, VA.
Koliva, served at a memorial service for the Ludwell family in Washington, DC. In eastern Christian tradition, this boiled wheat dish is symbolic of death and resurrection.
The 1762 publication of Philip Ludwell’s translation of "The Orthodox Confession" of Metropolitan Peter Moghila of Kiev. This copy belonged to William Marsden, Secretary to the Admiralty (1795-1807), and is now held at King's College in London.
Discove Cottage near Bruton, Somerset, England: the largest thatched roof house in Britain and part of the 17th-century Ludwell estate. The Berkeley-Ludwell family originated in Bruton - the origin of the name of Bruton Parish Church in Williamsburg.